Exploring the heritage of American higher education : the evolution of philosophy and policy
|Series:||American Council on Education/Oryx Press series on higher education.
|Physical Description:||xiii, 258 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.|
|Bibliography:||Includes bibliographical references (pages 219-236) and index.|
|ISBN:||1573563102 (alk. paper)|
Table of Contents:
- Portraits in diversity : the scope of America's investment in higher education
- Purpose and performance : the devolution of higher education mission and goals
- Guardians and governance : the culture of decision and authority in academic life
- Competence and conscience : the challenges of curriculum and program design
- Performance accountability : the evidence of quality
- Forms of finance : the uses of fiscal policy
- Student life and development : the mosaic of student influence and involvement
- Faculty role and responsibility : the perceptions of professorial performance
- Academics and athletics : the arenas of ideological and physical contest
- Reform and renewal : the dance of change and tradition.